Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This one's for the girls. My girls.

This is a post for you to read a bit later in your lives. I'll know when the time is right. And, that time may not come for quite awhile. I know this because I've lived it. This is also a post that may hurt you a bit. It may slightly upset how you see our family. I'm hoping you'll see beyond that and understand that all I want for you is the best of everything. This is why I'm writing this. So, please, trust me on this one.

This is also a post which will have the power to hurt someone I love and care about deeply should he read it. This is not my intention. I simply need to put this out there for our girls and I'm sure you of all people will understand eventually.

So, here I go jumping off into the unknown on this one.
This is a post about what we long for, what we settle for, and who we're meant for.

Dear Ladies,

Of everything I hope for the two of you, the one thing which I hold highest is the wish that you find true love. It does exist. I know this for a fact. It's elusive and painful. It's a long time coming sometimes. Yet at other times it's right there in your face and you are too young to fully get it. It has the power to destroy you, but it also has the power to make you whole. It is what makes you feel the most alive. It makes all of the colors in this big world we live in just a little brighter. It can give you everything you've ever dreamed of, everything you've ever hoped for, and everything you will ever need.

Love is the reason to go on.

Love should never leave you hanging when you need it the most. Not true love. Love should never make you feel like less of a person or belittle you. Love should never be screaming in your face while listing all of things that you do or have ever done wrong. Love should never be manipulative or controlling. This is not real and true love.

Love will hurt you at times, though. You should know this. You should be prepared for this. It's powerful and all consuming. It's wonderful and it's painful. If you should lose the person you love, you will grieve even if you did not lose them to death. I have lost someone to death. It was like having part of my soul torn right from my body. He was my very first love and you never ever forget that. But he was not the love which I was truly meant for.

You will learn that what we long for, what we settle for, and who we're meant for can all be different things.

What I want for you is to find all of this in one person. It does not just exist in movies. It is very real and very powerful. I believe we do have soulmates. I also believe that our paths in life twist and turn around so swiftly that we may miss our opportunity to be with this person. So we find another love. A comforting and warm love and we cling to it. We'll eventually get to our soulmates. Maybe in another lifetime. But, remember, there is a reason for everything. Everything.

So, my ladies, please love deeply. But, pay close attention because as you walk through life, the person who is truly meant for you could be right in front of your face and you do not want to be too late to capture it. Always be happy. And NEVER EVER regret anything which brought a smile to your sweet faces. Never.

This song, this movie, this is what love truly, honestly is. It does exist and not just in film.



No comments: