Monday, November 24, 2008

Where I briefly lose my shit.

It's Thanksgiving week internets. Yes, yes, I know you know. I'm just letting you know that I know too. I'm also letting you know how very much I dislike certain holidays. It's not that I don't understand or respect the point of these holidays, it's just that they tend to irritate me for various reasons. Reasons which I will spare you from, for the most part.

Thanksgiving is one of these holidays. I am thankful for all that I have every single day. I see my family (meaning parents etc) often. Sometimes a little too much if ya get my drift. We sit down at our kitchen table for a family meal every evening. So I just don't see the need to sit down and gorge ourselves on turkey, stuffing, pie, cranberry sauce, and much more just because the pilgrims said so. I can think of many more useful things I'd rather do with my family than this.

So, why don't we do these other things? Why internets? WHY? Because Big Daddy is a traditionalist, that's why. He likes things to be the same every year and he likes to follow traditions. Me? Not so much. I could be perfectly happy tossing tradition right out the window and heading into NYC to roam around. I could also be perfectly happy packing up some food and heading out for a hike. Either of these things would work well for me. But, no, it'll be all of our family arranged around the table with a big dead bird in the middle.

Honestly, I'm not even certain where my Thanksgiving aversion has come from. I used to kind of enjoy it. Used to like setting the table all nice and pretty with the china and good wine glasses. I think that was the new wife and mother thing though. Being the happy hostess and all. But it's kind of worn thin at this point. Could my issue have something to do with the fact that the girls will be home for 5.5 days over Thanksgiving? Yeah, that's a pretty good shot. The fighting will ensue around day 1.5 and not end until they have to return to that blessed institution. I'll have had it with the board games and crafts by day 3. Maybe by day 2. Kind of depends when PMS strikes.

So, there ya have it. Me losing my shit over Turkey Day. Going all batshit crazy just because I can, more or less. There is no rhyme or reason to it and guess what? There doesn't need to be. It's my rant and it's my blog. :)

Have a Happy Monday interenets!

No comments: